Pages


Monday, July 21, 2008

Catch-up time!
So happy to finally have this UFO moved out of the list . It id now officially a new Finished Project. It's such a wonderful feeling to have it done after putting it off for a year or so. This is a dupatta edging for my aunt. For those of you wondering what a 'dupatta' is - let me explain- It's like a stole ( a little bigger and wider )worn over the traditional Indian / Pakistani outfit called Shalwar Kameez. It's a very classy, modest and preety outfit. The Dupatta is the essence of the outfit. Lets say, like the topping on a chocolate sundae. So usually this particular part of the outfit is accesorised with lace, motifs, beads etc.
This dupatta is done for one of my favourite aunts - more a friend to me . I could not find threads to match the embroidery work done on the dupatta so I decided to use the black thread and multicoloured beads to match the work.


I like this folded version better ...all the beads together look good , don't you think?


And here is the close up of the stitches. It's more like a fan style stitch with beads included . Really simple and easy.

Now after looking at this you might wonder why it would take me more than a year to finish a simple thing like this. Well , all I can say is that I'm not sure either . It may have been the 1200 plus beads to string in , crocheting with size 20 black thread on black fabric, a monotonous design ( can't blame anyone for that , it's my own design!! ) or making 12 yards of lace edging!!! Anyways, I'm glad it's done and over with. But seriosly , I liked the end result. So I guess it was worth the pain.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

That is a labor of love, Yasmin, and its a creative work too...well done! I wouldn't know what to do with a piece of cloth to make it a pretty accessory.

Btw, you asked about the brush yarn to use for a tawashi. I think that would work too, why don't you give it a try. I am working on two more designs, they are quick projects that I would like to share :)

LG said...

OMG Yasmin! You did an absolutely amazing work! MOre than 1200 beads... I hope you wore glasses while crocheting!
Your aunt will treasure your gift very much, I´m sure. Congratulations!

Yasmin said...

Thank you , Mimi. I'm looking forward to your new quick project designs. I'll give the tawashi a try with brush yarn.
Thank you, Vik. Good to see you here. I was definately wearing my glasses . My aunt was very pleased with it- that makes it so worthwhile!

Anonymous said...

1200 beads... i might have taken ages to do this... its very very pretty...

Charmaine said...

Isn't it great to have that feeling of accomplishment! You deserve to feel proud of this, it's gorgeous. I'm sure your aunt will love it.

Anonymous said...

Yasmin...that is looking great....amazing peice of work to treasure.

Punam said...

Yasmin.. The edging is so beautiful and ethereal. Brings out the beauty of the plain dupatta. I crochet too, when I find time, but I am too much into purses & handbags(batua type). But I have a lot of hobbies and I am just hobby-hopping most of the time... :-) Loved ur blog.