Pages


Friday, January 27, 2006



Sometime back I had come across something interesting - a cone of nylon twine. It looks like plasticky (?) ,rope like thread. This label said - Fishing Twine. Thats all. Nothing more. It looked interesting....but the shopkeeper had no idea what it was for. He said it was new...and nobody bought it.
Well....I was his first customer.... Got just one cone in the only colour available - pearly white. I made up a pattern for a child's purse. It was tough to work with and my fingers hated it. But then it could also have been because the hook was a small size and the stitch pattern a little intricate. It took great amount of determination to get this one done. Needless to say ...I didnt pick up that thing ever again.
Now , once again I came upon the same nylon thread in a different shop in a huge array of lovely colours. Mostly bright colours. They look so pretty. Once again the guys in the shop have no idea what its used for. But they did say its selling well. I wonder why they never bothered finding out what its used for. Well.....I guess I'm tempted to buy it but I'll wait ...for I have'nt yet forgotten how my poor fingers felt at the time.
Here's the result of my little adventure with this nylon thread.
This was my first purse. I wanted to make a purse...didnt have any patterns ( usual problem with me !!) .So I had to make up one ( the begining of my amateur designing ventures and attempts) . I worked in rounds.First ...I made the oval base with sc stitches. Then started working with the pattern stitch. I don't know what the stitch is called. I just kept trying different tricks until I ended up with something I liked. I wanted to make it with shells....but I think it didnt look that well.I'm not very sure but I think it is...something like this: work 1dc and 1hdc in same stitch, skip next stitch, 1 dc and 1 hdc in next stitch, skip next stitch......until end of row...join with sl st in the first dc.
Does that make sense???

No comments: